Regular bowel movements are something which is considered to be a sign of overall good health. This is because it signifies that your food is being well ingested and digested in the body. In addition, it would also entail that the food is being excreted in the proper manner as well.
However, the sad part is that not everybody seems to be blessed with this good luck. For them, they have to deal with the problem of constipation. While it might not always seem to be a nuisance, there are some times when it would indeed get too much. On other occasions, you would find it to be occurring on a pretty daily basis. That is when you would come to understand that this is a problem that you would need to look in to. So, while there definitely are not permanent ways of relieving constipation, you would actually be able to make matters easier upon yourself. In addition, this would also allow you to continue with your normal state of things.
Hence, if you would like to know about some of the remedies which might help you to relieve constipation, take a look below. While going through this, you would also find that not all of them require medication or even the help of doctors. There are some remedies and lifestyle changes that you would be able to manage on your own. This is something which is actually considered to be the better option. This is because it might help to give you the assurance that your body would not be negatively impacted as a result.
Changes to lifestyle and diet are often recommended as the first treatment for constipation. This is because in many cases, you would find that this would improve your condition without having to resort to medication.
So, if you are wondering about some of the self-help methods that you would be able to try, read on below:
• Increasing your daily intake of fiber. This means that you should eat at least 18 to 30 grams of fiber a day. In terms of food which would be high in fiber, it would include cereals, along with fresh fruits and vegetables.
• Add some bulking agents to your diet such as bran. This would make your stools softer and thus easier to pass.
• Try to avoid dehydration by making it a point that you are having at least 8 to 10 glasses of water per day.
• Try to incorporate more exercise in to your daily routine. It does not need to be something sophisticated or high intensity. You could even just walk in the park or go for a short run and that should do the trick.
• If constipation seems to be causing you discomfort or pain of any sort, then you could take a painkiller such as paracetamol. However, you should be careful to follow the dosage instructions carefully.
• Keep to a routine (which means the time of day and place) which you would be spending in the toilet. In simple words, you should respond to your bowel’s natural pattern. So, when you feel the urge, do not delay.
• Try resting your feet on a low stool while going to the toilet. This would mean that your knees should be above your hips, thus making it easier to pass stool.
If you have bad constipation Another option to relieve is to go for laxatives. If you do not know what these are, these are basically a type of medication that would allow you to pass stools easily. You would be able to find different types which would have different effects on your digestive system.
• Bulk-forming laxatives
These laxatives would help your stools to retain fluid. This means that they would be less likely to dry out. In addition, they would also help your stools to become softer, thus becoming easier to pass out.
• Osmotic laxatives
If your stools still remain hard even after taking bulk-forming laxative, it would help to increase the amount of fluid in your bowels. This would soften your stool and thus stimulate your body to pass them.
• Stimulant laxatives
This kind of laxative would stimulate the muscles that line your digestive tract. This would help to remove waste products and stools along your large intestine to your anus.
Hence, by keeping these remedies in mind, you would be able to relieve constipation and make life easier for yourself.